Saturday 25 - Sunday 26 March 2017
Theme: BikeBiCentennial - celebrating 200 years of fun, freedom and adventure
- Early bird $80. after 7 March $100
- Day $60 (not including Saturday Evening dinner)
- Non-Members: $140 whole weekend, $80 day (consider joining CAN to save)
If cost is a barrier, CAN has some limited funds to help local groups send advocates.
Mezzanine Meeting Room, Wellington Central Library, Victoria Street
As well as being central, the venue has generous bike parking. Wellington yarnbombers are already decorating the stands.
The final programme and Powerpoint presentations from sessions are published at the bottom of the page.
Thanks to everyone who made the CAN Do 2017 a success. The annual workshop was well attended by about 50 delegates from Warkworth to Timaru. We celebrated 200 years of bicycles and CAN's 20th birthday, and elected a new Board with Executive Team to take us positively into the future. The weekend also provided many opportunities for delegates to swap ideas, news and tips with like-minded people from around the country.
The programme included:
- An informal dinner on Friday night, with a showing of Century of Cycling, Nga Taonga Sound and Vision's compilation of historic cycling film.
- Updates on progress from Wellington and 7 other CAN member groups around the country
- Wellington City Mayoral welcome
- Wellington city and regional councillors presenting progress and challenges in Wellington
- NZTA overview of upcoming planning rounds for cycling
- Election year: update of (and tips for) presenting our priorities to political parties
- Skills unconference for bike advocates to share skills and issues
- Cycle tourism: how has the NZ Cycle Trail / Nga Haerenga helped tourism and business?
- Perspective of a cycle tour operator in the Wairarapa
- Tour Aotearoa - epic journey - show and tell from Jonathan Kennett
- NZTA recent regulations and regulations under development affecting cyclists
- Getting more kids on bikes - panelists and group brainstorm
- NZTA: national skills training framework under development
- CAN's Share the Road project and a truck blindzone workshop supported by a Fulton Hogan truck
- New initiatives from members: including Movement, Bikes Welcome and ReBicycle
- Tours of Wellington bike routes, including:
Not to mention the epic post-CAN Do Tour - see below.
CAN's AGM - agenda. Minutes will be available.
YHA Wellington, Courtenay Place
Halswell Lodge, Kent Tce
Warm Showers hospitality network for touring cyclists
If you can offer a billet, contact Patrick.
If you want a billet, contact Patrick.
CBD free wifi (Limits apply)
CAN DO Tour - Photos here
Monday 27 March
8:21am Train from Wellington to Carterton
Ride to Carters Reserve, Gladstone vineyard or pub, and on to Martinborough, 47 km
Visit Green Jersey Cycle Tours
Shuttle to accommodation at Magnificat Community, Cross Creek.
CAN DO coincides with Cuba Dupa street festival. Check it out between sessions.
CAN Do 2017 is brought to you with the generous support of Wellington City Council and Fulton Hogan.