Saturday 25 - Sunday 26 March 2017
Theme: BikeBiCentennial - celebrating 200 years of fun, freedom and adventure
- Early bird $80. after 7 March $100
- Day $60 (not including Saturday Evening dinner)
- Non-Members: $140 whole weekend, $80 day (consider joining CAN to save)
If cost is a barrier, CAN has some limited funds to help local groups send advocates.
Mezzanine Meeting Room, Wellington Central Library, Victoria Street
As well as being central, the venue has generous bike parking. Wellington yarnbombers are already decorating the stands.
The draft programme is published at the bottom of the page.
All cycling advocates, young and old, experienced and fresh to the cause, will find something of value in the varied format, as we celebrate 200 years of bicycles and cycling and look forward to the future. The programme also provides time for delegates to swap ideas, news and tips with like-minded people from around the country.
The programme includes:
- An informal dinner on Friday night, with a showing of Century of Cycling, Nga Taonga Sound and Vision's compilation of historic cycling film.
- Updates on progress from Wellington and around the country, with presentations from advocates, councils, and NZTA.
- Election year: update (and tips for) presenting our priorities to political parties
- Skills sessions for bike advocates
- Cycle tourism: how has the NZ Cycle Trail / Nga Haerenga helped tourism and business?
- E-Bikes: update on rules, and a chance to ride one
- Getting more kids on bikes - panelists and group discussion
- CAN's Share the Road project and a chance to attend a truck blindzone workshop
- New initiatives: including Bikes Welcome and ReBicycle
- Tours of Wellington bike routes, including the World Famous Frocks On Bike Laneway Art tour
Not to mention the epic CAN Do Tour - see below.
YHA Wellington, Courtenay Place
Halswell Lodge, Kent Tce
Warm Showers hospitality network for touring cyclists
If you can offer a billet, contact Patrick.
If you want a billet, contact Patrick.
CBD free wifi (Limits apply)
CAN DO Tour
Monday 27 March
8:21am Train from Wellington to Carterton
Ride to Carters Reserve, Gladstone vineyard or pub, and on to Martinborough, 47 km
Visit Green Jersey Cycle Tours
Shuttle to accommodation at Magnificat Community, Cross Creek.
CAN DO coincides with Cuba Dupa street festival. Check it out between sessions.
CAN Do 2017 is brought to you with the generous support of Wellington City Council and Fulton Hogan.