This morning Greater Wellington Regional Council and CAW volunteers ran a workshop at Waterloo bus depot for Valley Flyer and Go Wellington drivers. WCC's Emma Hope came along too.
We switched seats: drivers on bikes, and cyclists behind the wheel of the bus.
Key lessons for bikers:
- keep out of the driver's blind spot behind the bus
- ride predictably. Signal, use eye contact.
- if riding up the Glenmore St bus lane, pull over if there's a string of buses behind you.
- keep out of Bus Only lanes such as Willis St and by the Wellington Railway Station
- use lots of reflective gear and lights at night
- avoid riding 2 abreast if the bus needs to get past
Key lessons for drivers:
- sometimes bikers need to occupy the lane for their safety e.g. Adelaide Rd
- advance stop boxes, such as those in Newtown, help cyclists get through an intersection quickly
Drivers were keen for the workshop to be repeated in Wellington.
Dom Post and TV3 came along. TV3 expects it to screen during Campbell Live on Thursday.
Thanks David Laing, Simon Kennett and all the volunteers for making this happen.
Caption: Barry gives Marilyn and Emma a lesson
|2005-2010 crashes involving cyclists x 4 Cities.pdf||78.39 KB|
|CHCH Bus v Cyclist 04-09 Eng Listing.pdf||48.02 KB|
|CHCH Bus v Cyclist 04-09 MAP.pdf||206.24 KB|
|2004-2009 Bus v Cyclist Police crash list report.pdf||70.67 KB|
|All NZ 2005-2010 crashes involving cyclists.pdf||73.34 KB|