Benefits of investing in cycling in New Zealand communities [PDF, 1.5 MB] provides information about the key benefits of investing in cycling, for councils, communities and individuals.
The benefits include:
- more liveable towns and cities
- improved conditions for travelling within towns and cities
- stronger local economies
- reduced costs for councils
- less impact on the environment, and
- healthier and more productive people.
We also know that that providing cycling infrastructure responds to what a significant percentage of people say they want.