New Zealanders have until the end of the week to nominate their favourite cycling project or cycling champion for a CAN Cycle-Friendly Award.
The second national Cycle-Friendly Awards aim to celebrate initiatives that promote cycling and create a cycle-friendly environment at both national and local levels. The awards are administered by the Cycling Advocates Network (CAN) and proudly supported by SPARC.
There are four award categories:
- Best Cycle Facility Project
- Best Cycling Promotion- Cycle-Friendly Commitment by Business
- Cycle-Friendly Commitment by Public Organisation
Nominations should be based on activities carried out some time during the 18-month period January 2003 - June 2004. The finalists will be invited to attend an awards ceremony in Wellington in November. All finalists will receive a certificate and a subscription to CAN, while the category winners will also receive the famous "bike-bell" trophy to adorn their cabinet.
Anyone can nominate somebody for a CAN Award - even if they're involved in the nominee organisation. Further details, a nomination form and information about last year's winnners are available on the CAN website http://www.can.org.nz/awards or by ringing 03-331 7504.
CAN spokesperson Glen Koorey said that nominations were coming in steadily. Nominations are due by Friday 8th October.
For more information, contact Glen Koorey, CAN Technical & Policy Adviser, on 027-454 3085 or 03-331 7504.
The winners of the inaugural CAN Cycle-Friendly Awards in 2003 were:
- Best cycle facility project: Porirua City Council (Ara Harakeke Pathway)
- Best cycling promotion: Bike Wise (National Bike Wise Week 2003)
- Cycle-friendly commitment by business: Cycle Surgery, Dunedin (child cycling skills programme)
- Cycle-friendly commitment by public organisation: SPARC (Cycle Friendly Employer resources).
Photos of some of the winning projects in 2003 and of the bell trophy are available from CAN.
Campaigns & PR Secretary
Cycling Advocates' Network of NZ Inc.
PO Box 6491, Auckland, NZ
Tel/Fax: +64-4-972 2552