Dahon 7 speed folding bike, $560 with Regional Council discount voucher. See below.
CAW Minutes Tue 5 April 2011, at The Library, 53 Courtenay Place, level 1 (above Burger King)
Present: Nicola G (acting Chair), Gilbert S, Sridhar E, Claire P, Frank P, Simon K, John R, Murray R, Steven Knowles and Paul Corbett (Tunnels Alliance), James B, Phaedra U, Achim, Patrick M (minutes)
1. Update from Steven Knowles and Paul Corbett from the Tunnels Alliance.
Mt Vic tunnel will close for maintenance and new fire protection systems in May. Closed from about 8pm - 5:30am Sunday - Thursday nights. A shuttle van equipped with bike rack can take people around.
A request was made to clean the handrails.
2. WCC update: proposal for speed reduction on Miramar peninsular, Oriental Bay, Miramar shops. Council to hear submissions and decide on 7 April. Written submissions are ~65% in favour. Patrick, Claire, Russell to speak. Issues include speed cushions / humps and disruption of training and racing.
3. WCC looking for volunteers for Council Housing info days 27-28 April. Contact is Anna.Hobman@wcc.govt.nz
4. WCC SASTRAG (Safe and Sustainable Transport Advisory Group) update: safety improvements to go in at crash blackspot at Spotlight, Kaiwharawhara. Detector loops in carpark will trigger a lit sign to alert exiting drivers to look for cyclists
5. Regional Council updates:
- new bikes on train policy is on GW site. Simon K handed out $50 discount vouchers for Dahon folding bikes. More info here.
- Dahon folding bikes will be in stores in about 2 weeks. Simon will have a demo bike available at the Regional Council.
- regional cycling maps to be redone, based on Chch cycling maps. Simon will bring a draft next meeting.
7. CAW priorities for 2011 - discuss and agree. Support for public rental bikes e.g. NextBike.
We decided to postpone discussion until AGM and new Committee in place.
8. CAW AGM plans: in May tbc
We'll need to choose a Committee and decide on 2011 priorities.
9. Simon K: New bridge on Transient (Aro Valley to Highbury) track will be open in a couple of weeks
10. 60 second raves.
Claire tells us that a bus driver yelled out the window: "I like your bike!" The reply? "I like your bus!"
11. Wellington Waterfront: had any good or bad experiences about bikers and walkers you'd like addressed? Let Allan Brown know.